Tell us about someone sleeping rough
- Call Sheffield’s Street Outreach Team on 0800 066 5358 (free from landlines and mobiles)
- Texting SOTS to 80800, followed by your message.
During evenings and weekends please phone Sheffield City Council’s out of hours housing solution service on 0800 7311 689. This can link people up with support services.
You can read more about the work of our Street Outreach Team on our blog.
- Stopping to ask if someone is alright and whether they know about the help available for people on the street. You could download our 'Here to Help map 2020' map and show them the location of the nearest day centre, or place to get food.
- Having a chat. Treating people on the streets as human beings, without judgement, is important.
- If you have the time and money, offer to buy them a cup of tea or a sandwich.
There are reports of a small number of people begging aggressively and/or harassing people for money.
If this happens, please report this to South Yorkshire Police by calling 101. Tell them:
- What happened
- What time
- As much as you remember about the person who harassed you
This behaviour is not representative of most people on the street who ask for money.
Interested in giving your time to support people who beg and sleep rough?
Here's more information.
Please drop us an email and leave your name and message so we can get back in touch with you. firstname.lastname@example.org